vSphere Upgrade, Part III

Quick notes on the SRM 4.0 install, which was also pretty trivial save for a few key points.  I needed to take advantage of the Shared Recovery Site feature, well documented on VMware’s Knowledge Base article 1014640.

The real short story on the install is to execute the installable via command line with a /V”CUSTOM_SETUP=1″ flag.  Unfortunately, Windows 2008 complicates this slightly, I executed cmd with “Run as Administrator” privileges to overcome.  Aside from creating a shared custom site identifier I just followed the prompts.  I did find notes regarding database connectivity, after troubleshooting service failures, in the Administrators Guide:

  • If you are using Windows authentication, the SRM server and database server must run on the same host.
  • If the SRM server and database server run on different hosts, you must use mixed mode authentication.

Database logging was showing that the local service account was attempting to initialize the database connection despite the fact that the SRM service was running as a domain user with a database login.  A switch to SQL Server Authentication resolved all issues the quick and dirty way.  After the installation I was able to immediately install the vCenter Client SRM plugin and pair my sites.  It was that easy.

After upgrading the ESX hosts to 4.0 I quickly found that snapshot LUN were no longer visible on the host servers.  This makes perfect sense though I had completely forgotten about it and how to reconfigure this.  All thanks to a quick tweet from @vseanclark I found that the LUN has to be resignatured manually from the recovery servers.  The process goes something like this, in RecoverPoint terminology:

  1. Enable image access
  2. Rescan with recovery ESX hosts
  3. “Add Storage” on ESX host
  4. Select “Resignature LUN”, or something to that effect

It appears as though I only had to perform this on one host in the cluster and I believe that this actually makes perfect sense.